Before any showings:
- Initiate a family “game plan” for getting the house ready to show / Practice keeping the house neat all the time … this minimizes time and effort required to get ‘show ready’.
- Make sure all light bulbs throughout the house are working; replace if needed
- Wash all windows inside and out
- Remove all smoke and pet odors
- Hide small appliances from the counter
- Keep closets clean and neat
- Check Laundry room
- Dust and vacuum regularly / air out the home regularly
- Fix and paint the garage door if necessary
- Replace doormats, if needed
- Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
- Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.
Preparing for a showing:
- Open the draperies, pull up the shades, and let in the sunlight
- Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
- Remove any loose clutter from each room.
- Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives
- Remove and/or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
- Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
In the Kitchen:
- Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
- The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
- Optional: microwave a small dish of vanilla a few minutes before a showing and place in a discreet place.
In the Bedrooms:
- Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
- Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
- Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathrooms:
- Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
- Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
- Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
- Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
- Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway, and patio.
- Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
- Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios, and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept, and in good condition.
- Make sure the garage door opens easily.
- Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers, etc.)
- Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.