Preparing your Home for Sale – The Way you sell a Home is not the same as the way you live in it
If you find it difficult to look at your house from a Buyer’s perspective allow a third party to give you an opinion. After all, you aren’t selling your furnishings or the style of décor in the home.
Your objective is to sell the House with its floor plan and features.
Tips for Making Your Home More Sellable
Buyers notice the extent to which a house is prepared for a showing. An outstanding, well-prepared home can mean many things to a Buyer. It can suggest a Seller who over time has really cared for their home. Most importantly, it can help a Buyer decide a house is worth a higher value than say one that is not prepared for showings.
Here are a few showing Tips for giving your home the edge over similar competing homes.
Always look at your home from the buyer’s point of view. Be objective and be honest.
In short, you will Depersonalize, Declutter, Deodorize (check for odors), Clean and Paint your home where necessary.
Excerpt from Realtor.com
The home’s exterior. If the outside, or “curb appeal” looks good, people will more than likely want to see what’s on the inside.
- Keep the lawn and landscape nicely manicured.
- Trim the bushes and season permitting, plant some flowers.
- Be sure your front door area has a “Welcome” feeling.
- A fresh coat of paint on the front door looks great.
- Pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms.
- They should look as modern, bright and fresh as possible — Clean and odor free.
- Paint or call a plumber or a handyman for minor repairs, if needed.
- Make your home as spacious as possible.
- Remove excess or very large furniture.
- Table tops, dressers and closets should be free of clutter.
- Don’t use your garage, attic, or basement to store these extra things, if possible. These areas also need to have the impression of space. Instead, put them into storage.
- Walls and doors free of smudges / Look for and address any maintenance problems, such as cracked windows, holes in the wall or stained ceilings.
Quick tips for showings:
- Keep counter tops cleared
- Replace all burned out light bulbs and turn on lights for the showing
- Open all drapes and window blinds
- Put pets in cages or take them to a neighbor
- No dirty dishes in the sink
- No laundry in the washer/dryer
- Clean or replace dirty or worn carpets
- Put on soft music
- Burn wood in the fireplace on cold days, otherwise, the fireplace should be clean